Recent Water Damage Posts
Close up of wood floor separated and swelled from water damage.
Despite their added value to a home and general durability, an unfortunate fact of hardwood flooring is that, once water damaged, it will swell and buckle; causing lifted and uneven floors. Several factors determine whether water-damaged hardwood floors may be salvageable in a way that makes financial sense. Two of the most influential factors impacting its ability to recover are the severity and duration of water exposure.
For the best chance of restoring a hardwood floor after water damage, here are some contributing factors:
- The rapid removal of pooling water before it is absorbed is critical. This can be done by water damage professionals with wet/dry vacuums and powerful water extractors.
- Wood floors affected by water should be thoroughly scrubbed and sanitized before air-drying to mitigate the potential for mold contamination.
- Industrial dehumidifiers must be kept running 24 hours a day to reduce moisture content. High-volume air movers are also utilized to continuously circulate air and expedite drying.
- Moisture content reading of the wood must be taken at regular intervals to determine when the optimum moisture percentage is achieved.
At SERVPRO of Gilbert, Chandler South, Ahwatukee, and South Tempe, we understand that flooding often comes quickly and unexpectedly, thereby causing extensive damage. That is why we are equipped and capable of offering mitigation, restoration, and reconstruction services for hardwood flooring with minimal to extensive damage.
Our phones are staffed daily to take your call and dispatch our crews as quickly as possible to prevent further damage and restore your home, “Like it never even happened.”
Managing a Water Loss as a Tenant or Property Owner
Handling a water loss can be extremely difficult and confusing; especially, when both a tenant and property owner are implicated. Although SERVPRO of Gilbert, Chandler South, Ahwatukee and South Tempe strives to provide clear and consistent communication to ease the stress of restoring property damage, we understand that the added variables can create further confusion. Therefore, we make all possible efforts to prevent miscommunication and protect clients, as well as ensure that water cleanup and restoration efforts are performed as effectively as possible.
Below, are notes and recommendations beneficial to homeowners and tenants regarding water losses:
- It is beneficial to address water losses immediately to ensure the safety and security of tenants, as well as maintain the structure’s integrity. Additionally, it is important to note that failing to address water damage appropriately could result in the loss of tenants in the future.
- Renter’s insurance, often, does not cover structural damage, only contents. Therefore, the homeowner is responsible for financial costs determined by damage.
- We require the homeowner’s signature to begin work; tenants cannot provide a valid signature.
Water losses are never easy, especially when cleaning and restoration efforts involve collaboration between a homeowner and tenant. At SERVPRO, we seek to provide efficient and effective work, while minimizing difficulty or confusion.
Should you be faced with water damage to your home or property, call us at (480) 558-7620 for an immediate mitigation response.
Electrical Safety After a Flood
Unlike in a fire or storm, the potential safety hazards associated with a flood are often less apparent. However, they are present nonetheless. Specifically, in regards to proper handling of electrical devices.
Because we all value our belongings, we may rush to handle electrical appliances, chords, or other devices without taking the necessary precautions to do so safely. In the case of a flood, please prioritize caution and refer to the guidelines listed below.
- Never step into a room where water is in contact with electrical outlets, appliances, or cords.
- If you must stand in water to do so, do not attempt to turn off power at the breaker. Furthermore, if you can’t reach the breaker box safely, call your electric utility to shut off power at the meter.
- When you’re wet or when you’re standing in water, never use electric appliances or touch electric wires, switches, or fuses.
- Keep electric tools and equipment at least 10 feet away from wet surfaces.
- If an electric appliance has been in contact with water, have a professional check it out before it is used. It may need to be repaired or replaced.
At SERVPRO, we are closely familiar with flooding protocols and the potential dangers associated with high-wading water inside commercial or residential properties. Therefore, we hope to provide you with the information necessary to approach similar situations safely and confidently.
Additionally, if your home or business does experience a flood, please call us at (480) 558-7620 or visit us at https://www.SERVPROgilbert.com/ for information and restoration services. “Like it never even happened.”
Was it "Wonderwall" or "Waterwall"?
Especially as we enter the height of monsoon season, SERVPRO wants you to have the tools necessary to notice and react quickly in the case of water damage in your home. Caused by intense weather, old or loose pipes, and a plethora of other occurrences, leaks in your walls are never pleasant; but below are eight tricks to catching them quickly and avoiding costly repairs.
- Look for puddles of standing water near a wall – Wet flooring, especially near major water-using appliances, is one of the simplest ways to identify a leak in a wall.
- Look for discoloration on a wall – Irregular spots of discoloration are highly indicative of a leak behind a wall, regardless of the wall’s surface/material.
- Inspect walls for a change in texture – Walls with water leaks often show puckered, buckled, drooping, or bubble-like textures.
- Note any signs of mold or mildew – When a leak has been present for a substantial period of time, mold can grow on your wall. Oftentimes a dense cluster of black or brown dots, mold is a common result of water damage.
- Pay attention to any musty smells – Leaks that are not yet visible may make their presence known by smell, as water that soaks into walls and never has a chance to dry out can develop a strong odor.
- Listen for dripping sounds – If you hear dripping in the seconds after turning off the shower, flushing the toilet, or turning off the sink, do not ignore it. It can be a sign of a leak.
- Keep an eye on your water bill – If a significant amount of water is leaking in your walls, you often find that your water bill reflects it with higher prices.
- Check for clogged eaves and downspouts – Remove clogging material (pine needles, leaves, etc.) in the eaves and downspouts to restore water flow as overflowing water could eventually seep through the roof and walls.
At SERVPRO of Gilbert, Chandler South, Ahwatukee and South Tempe, we know that water damage often feels overwhelming and expensive. If your home or business is affected by a water loss, whether in the walls or elsewhere, call us at (480) 558-7620. We make it a point to respond promptly and resolve your damages efficiently and effectively. ‘Faster to Any Disaster’, and quicker to leaving you to return to a leak-free home.
The Science of Drying
Although simple in theory, there is actually a science behind the process of drying. When restoring a water-damaged structure to its preloss condition, it is essential to have knowledge of psychrometrics. That being, the study of various properties of air and methods of controlling its temperature and moisture content or humidity. We at SERVPRO are trained in the science of drying and follow strict industry-approved standards to help lower any chances of incurring secondary damage. Should your property sustain damage, our SERVPRO professionals will:
- Inspect the structure to identify every wet component to help prevent secondary damage from occurring
- Measure the amount of moisture in wet materials and monitor whether they are drying properly
- Place professional drying equipment to speed up drying and prevent further damage
With time, a wet building will dry naturally because the environment always seeks equilibrium. However, nature often takes too long, causing secondary damages as the property dries. It is the expertise of our professionals, the sate-of-the-art equipment in place, and top-of-the-line technology that allows us to resolve water damage “Like it never even happened.”
If your building sustains water damage, call 480-558-7620 or visit our SERVPRO of Gilbert, Chandler South, Ahwatukee and South Tempe website.
Furniture in a Flood?
When a flood damages your home, it’s not easy to recover. Then, when furniture gets damaged, the impact can seem that much greater. At SERVPRO, we understand the strain a loss of belongings causes and have expert tools and resources to salvage all that is possible; however, we understand the importance of providing you with the knowledge to do it yourself should the need arise. Here are some tools and tips to help you salvage your flooded furniture:
- Salvage upholstered furniture – Unfortunately, although fabric cushions can sometimes be salvaged, they are often a total loss. If only slight and short flooding occurred, separate upholstery fabrics and other colored items to prevent color bleeding. Then, dry completely as soon as possible to prevent mold and mildew. Please note that this is typical if more than 20% of the fabric is wet as it is easy for upholstered furniture to absorb contaminants from floodwaters. Due to the nature of upholstered furniture, it is advantageous to get an estimate to evaluate if it is worth saving before investing too much money. Additionally, if you do decide to keep your furniture, investing in a professional to clean it can be highly beneficial.
- Salvage mattresses – The process of salvaging mattresses is very similar to that of furniture as it too, easily absorbs water and fosters the growth of bacteria and mildew. Unlike it, however, it is more likely salvageable. Clean the surface and put the mattress in the sun to dry; keeping the wet side up. Further, rest it on blocks and place fans around it to facilitate drying. Should you notice a musty odor, it is an indication of mildew and requires either professional sanitation or disposal. Additionally, if your mattress or box spring has been submerged or has been sitting in water for an extended period, replacement is necessary.
- Salvage lightly damaged wood furniture – Clean and dry furniture first to avoid fungus and mold growth. Should white mildew spots appear, clean them with turpentine or a mixture of equal parts household ammonia and water. Finally, wipe dry immediately and apply cream wood restorers with lanolin to help restore the wood’s finish if necessary.
- Salvage heavily damaged wood furniture – Remove all parts to expedite drying (back panels, drawers, and doors) but do not force parts apart if they are sticking, wait until the furniture has partially dried and the wood has begun to shrink. Then, hose off mud and dirt while storing furniture in a ventilated area away from direct sunlight.
Salvaging wet furniture is a big undertaking, but it is achievable and can help you feel less stressed in your home after a flood. However, if you need help or feel most comfortable with expert technicians tackling the task, SERVPRO of Gilbert, Chandler South, Ahwatukee and South Tempe is happy to help. Call (480) 558-7620 and we will respond with immediate assistance to ensure your belongings are best restored, “Like it never even happened.”
The Categories of Water
Call Us First When You Have Water Damage!
Water from sewer system backups can be dangerous. The water can be unsanitary and contain bacteria and viruses that could cause serious illness. Special training and equipment are necessary to safely clean this type of contamination.
There are three major types of contaminated water.
Category 1: "Clean Water"
Water from a clean source like a broken water line
Should be addressed quickly. It may impact flooring, cabinets, and walls.
Category 2: "Gray Water"
May contain bacteria and viruses which may have an impact on humans and animals
Category 3: "Black Water"
May contain untreated sewage, harsh chemicals, and microbes
Water from flooding or sewer backup
Sewage backup should be considered an emergency! It should be addressed right away.
When you have a water emergency, SERVPRO of Gilbert, Chandler South, Ahwatukee, and Tempe South will inspect the water in your property and determine the source and type of water. We will then carefully develop a plan to restore your home or business safely.
Call us (480) 558-7620. We are available for your water emergency 24/7!
Count on the professionals when you need us the most.
Can you let the insulation dry without taking the damaged product out? The short answer is no. What is important to keep in mind is that insulation is made out of a fluffy material. The challenge becomes that once the insulation becomes wet it compacts, and it loses its R-Value making it less effective. While the insulation itself may not create a source for mold to grow, it may generate food for mold to grow on the wood structures in your ceiling and walls.
If your home or business is faced with water damage, contact SERVPRO of Gilbert (480) 558-7620. We are available when you need us the most. Our team, and our trained technicians, will be there promptly. We will make it "Like it never even happened."
Leaking Roofs Can Cause Headaches for Homeowners!
Leaking roofs can cause homeowners' headaches and heartache if they are not repaired properly. So, don't put off the necessary repairs that will keep your family safe. A leaking roof can damage a home's framing and comprise the insulation, which may promote mold growth or potentially create a fire hazard in the long term.
After rainy weather, water can invade your home through the roof, dripping down on the homes' structural elements. If not attended to over time, the wood can deteriorate, causing the roof to sag, the walls to bow, or floors to become waterlogged. The challenge is that even small leaks over time can have the same impact and large leaks. All leaks can be expensive if you put them off. And there are reasons why:
Water leaks can impact the insulation of your home and lessen its effectiveness. Potentially, causing an increase in your utility bills
Damp insulation may be a breeding ground for mold leading to a host of issues.
When water leaks come in contact with electrical wiring, it may create an open circuit which could lead to a house fire
Leaks may cause damage to personal property, especially the precious relics of the past.
When you discover a leak, it is best to attack the problem head-on. That is where SERVPRO of Gilbert can help. Our team of restoration professionals will be there to help 24/7 during any emergency. We will work to restore your property to its preloss condition quickly.
Give us a call (480)-558-7620!
Irrigation Systems Can Cause Interior Water Damage
Commercial and residential flooding is most associated with floods, heavy rains, broken water pipes, overflowing appliances. Sprinkler systems can have a severe impact on your home or business.
A movable lawn sprinklers or irrigation systems can cause water damage. It does not take long to destroy the interior of your home or commercial property with not only water but the potential of mold growth if it is not treated adequately by professionals.
To prevent this from happening.
- Have your irrigation system at a minimum checked annually
- Walk around your property to see if there is puddling around a sprinkler head
- Make sure that your irrigation system delivers an equal amount of water in each area and that it does not overshoot the area.
- Make sure that you keep a close eye on lawn and garden movable sprinklers
- Do not allow your hoses to run alongside the structure of your home or business.
- If there is a leak at the outdoor water spigot, have it checked by a licensed professional
Movable sprinklers and irrigation systems do make your home or business look beautiful by caring for your lawn and gardens. However, failure to maintain and take care of these systems could lead to costly water damage and mold growth.
If you suffer from a flood, water, or mold damage, SERVPRO of Gilbert is here to help. Call our professionally trained technicians 24/7 at (480) 558-7620.
Common Causes of Toilets Flooding
Many times, SERVPRO of Gilbert will have residential customers come home from work or a vacation to find their toilet has flooded their home. When you least expect it, your bathroom can flood. And, It is the last thing you want to deal with after a long day or relaxing time away. Bathroom flooding can happen when you least expect it — causing water damage and frustration for the homeowner.
We have found that some of the most common causes are:
- Clogged drain and pipes
- Malfunctioning Toilet Float
- Supply Line, value and tank leaks
Should you have, a leak or a flood due to a toilet turn off the water supply to your toilet. And, call your local SERVPRO of Gilbert your water damage and restoration certified team. We have years of experience and are happy to help. We understand that emergencies do not happen when it convenient for you. Let us help you get things back to “Like it never even happened.” We are open 24/7 for your call (480) 558-7620.
Water Damage Professionals
Water damage can range from minor to absolutely disastrous. When faced with residential or commercial water damage, SERVPRO of Gilbert is your professional water restoration expert. We are recognized as a trusted leader in the water restoration industry and are a locally owned and operated franchise. Our team has years of experience in both the insurance and water restoration industries.
We offer our customers 24/7 emergency service. Customers will speak directly to a trained SERVPRO professional. We are highly skilled, trained and certified water damage technicians. Customer Service is our top priority.
As a professional water restoration company, we are able to work closely with your insurance agent to ensure that all of the necessary paperwork is provided to them. This allows the restoration process to keep moving forward. Our team will stay in touch with our customers throughout the process so they understand timelines and expectations.
We have a six step water restoration process using advanced technology. Our process is:
- Emergency Contact with our Customer Care Representative
- Inspection and Water Damage Assessment
- Water Removal and Water Extraction
- Drying and Dehumidification
- Cleaning and Sanitizing
We understand that every water disaster is different. SERVPRO of Gilbert is here to provide unique solutions. Call us (480) 558-7620 to help you recover from your next water damage emergency.
Tips for Monsoon Season
Monsoon season will be on us soon. It will begin in June and move through September. Monsoons can cause a whole host of problems for desert dwellers. First and foremost, it is important to remember that some have a tendency to underestimate the force and power of water that can fall quickly and in great amounts. Keeping safe during this season is important for not only your family but your property as well.
Some tips to consider for this monsoon season might be:
- Find out if you live or work in a flood prone area. If you do, have an evacuation plan in place that brings everyone to safety.
- Flood prevention is key. Make sure that you have sandbags, plywood, plastic sheeting and lumber on hand for a water emergency. Store these items in a dry area that is way from water. This way will be able to make quick repairs.
- Secure any outdoor items that could potentially float away.
- Know where the high ground is in your area so you can move to this place of safety quickly should the need arise.
- Make sure to reach out your local insurance agent. Make sure that you have the proper insurance in the event of this type of disaster.
- Call SERVPRO of Gilbert which is locally owned and operated should a flood disaster impact your home or business. Our dedicated team of technicians have many years of experience in the insurance and disaster recovery industry. We will respond to your emergency 24/7 to meet your needs.
“We’re faster to any disaster.”
Call Us Today for your professional disaster recovery needs. (480) 558-7620
Attention Gilbert Homeowners--SERVPRO Is Primed to Mitigate Your Water Damaged Home--Real Fast
Rosie from SERVPRO Says We're Faster To Any Size Disaster in Gilbert--Water Mitigation Is What We Do!
Water Damage Primer for Gilbert Property Owners
The dry, desert climate enjoyed by home and business owners in the Gilbert area does not preclude the possibility of water loss events inside local homes and commercial buildings. A broad range of causes contributes to destructive water events in our region. Connecting with a reliable water damage restoration company to assess and manage the consequences after an event is crucial to preserving the integrity of the building materials inside a property as well as its contents. Here are some of the many considerations to keep in mind when coping with a water emergency.
Common Causes of Water Loss
Plumbing supply or waste pipe breaks or appliance malfunction are often the reason Gilbert residential and commercial buildings suffer water damage. Slow leaks might start as minor issues, but if they are hidden or ignored over time, the ramifications become significant. Harm to walls, cabinets, floors, and ceilings progresses as long as the water continues to seep. Pipes, connections, pumps, or hoses that burst open can send larger quantities of water that spread quickly. Clogged drains in air conditioners, sewer backups, and toilet and tub or sink overflows add to the list.
Evaluation of Water Category
The source of the water damage is relevant as SERVPRO of Gilbert crews evaluate the contamination risk. Supply lines break usually start as fresh or Category 1 water, rarely posing a health risk. Appliances like washing machines, garbage disposals, and dishwashers discharge grey or Category 2 water, containing some bacteria or harsh cleaning agents. Sewer backups and overland flooding after a monsoon send black or Category 3 water into your property. This type of water can contain pathogens including viruses, bacteria, and fungi and toxic chemicals. Severe health problems can follow if professional water mitigation experts do not remove, contain, and dispose of the tainted water appropriately, following safety and health rules and regulations.
When water damage extends to the contents of a property, high-quality restoration companies like SERVPRO offer a move-out service to residential and commercial customers. Furnishings, documents, window coverings, rugs, clothing, toys, books, electronics, and many other items absorb moisture. Our production facility is climate controlled and features specialized cleaning and drying systems, including vacuum freeze drying for papers and pictures. We use a Contents Claim Inventory Service (CCIS) that inventories all items transported and tracks their status through the process. Removing portable property for storage also allows a more efficient work environment in your home or business.
If more than an inch of water fills a space, it is likely that moisture is wicking up the wallboard and seeping into unseen cavities. When water flows in on upper levels, ceilings can look deceptively untouched while they might be holding gallons of liquid. SERVPRO’s IICRC-trained technicians are familiar with the spread of water damage into hidden spaces. They receive advanced training in thermal scanning techniques to locate pockets of water and moisture. We can establish baseline levels to determined drying goals.
State of the Art Equipment
SERVPRO delivers successful water damage remediation because our talented crews operate top-notch equipment specifically designed to move water and lingering moisture out fast. Our service vehicles arrive packed with commercial quality pumps, wanded extractors, air movers, heaters, and dehumidifiers. Possessing the appropriate equipment allows rapid removal of water and the ability to establish the balance among air movement, temperature, and humidity needed for effective drying.
One of the most frequent challenges SERVPRO faces in a water damage scenario is extracting moisture from tight or interior spaces. We must remove water that migrated behind walls or between the planks of hardwood floors. Fortunately, innovations like the Injectidry system allow us to use negative pressure to suction the moisture out using a series of hoses and floor mats connected to powerful extractors. These devices can also inject warm streams of air to facilitate the evaporation of water to a gaseous state captured by our dehumidifiers. Flood cuts extending above the waterline permit us to force dry, warm air behind walls to accelerate drying. Cinder block walls release water held in their internal cells when we drill holes through mortar joints or angle extractor extensions from above.
Faster To Any Size Disaster
SERVPRO of Gilbert professionals exceed industry norms and strive to live up to our commitment to complete water damage restoration fast. Speed is not just a slogan to our team; it is vital to positive outcomes for our customers. Standing water and moisture remaining more than 24 to 48 hours after the loss expose the structural components and contents of your home or business to microbial growth. Although we offer mold remediation, we prefer to avoid the growth of fungal colonies in the first place. Moisture management is the key to inhibiting a mold infestation.
SERVPRO’s goal is to abate water damage and its effects, making it “Like it never even happened.” Expect our crews to be thorough, discrete, respectful, and compassionate as we complete the necessary tasks. We know how devastating a water loss can be, and your confidence in our company honors our owners, managers, and technicians during this disaster. Our mission is to help the residents and business partners in our community during this stressful and disruptive time. We take special care to return items back in place once the job completes and to take responsibility to remove our equipment, tools, products, and any mess we created during the project.
Insurance Claim Support
Approximately 30 percent of homeowner insurance claims in a year relate to water damage. Residents and business owners need a full-service remediation company that helps provide the documentation needed to support claims made according to property insurance contracts. Our team commits to working with your insurance company throughout the remediation process, coordinating communication both for tasks performed at your property and for cleaning, drying, and restoration, or disposal, of any items packed-out and treated at our production facility.
When water damage becomes a crisis at your home or business SERVPRO of Gilbert stands ready to be your partner throughout the restoration of your property. Call us round the clock at (480) 558-7620 to schedule an assessment.
For information on flood emergencies, visit the Chandler Emergency Management site. https://www.gilbertaz.gov/departments/emergency-management
Is Drying Enough to Restore Water Damage in San Tan Valley?
SERVPRO of Gilbert has the equipment, training, and experience to restore water damage.
Water Cleanup in San Tan Valley is more than Just Drying Your Home
Thankfully most homeowners never need to enlist the services of a professional for water cleanup, but those who need it do well in doing some research. Even though water cleanup may seem like a straightforward process, in reality, it goes well beyond extracting water from your home, and it is precisely that next step where homeowners fail to protect themselves against more extensive damage to their home. Contracting with an established and reputable company to help you in the restoration process is very important in making it a successful one.
When your home in San Tan Valley requires water cleanup services, SERVPRO is here to help. We make your family's safety our priority. We also mitigate your loss as much as possible, which is why we focus on the visible damage and in anticipating any further deterioration of your home. Our team is IIRC certified to address any water damage and is knowledgeable about its possible ramifications. In addition to water removal, we also concentrate on understanding your home’s needs regarding the removal of odors and any other bacteria that may be lingering.
If not promptly resolved, water damage can lead to more complicated issues. Standing water can become a breeding ground for microbes and bacteria, which can bring other problems such as mold into your home. In our cleanup process, we address these hazards by continually testing the environment, removing any materials that cannot be salvaged and effectively treating those that can be cleaned and disinfected. We always try our best to save your home’s contents and finishes, such as hardwood and furniture, but porous materials like carpets and upholstery are usually beyond salvageable. Due to the rigorous training, our SERVPRO technicians have gone through, we can determine what the best course of action is for each surface and apply industry best practices to protect you.
As a homeowner, relying on a staff that has been highly trained to deal with water cleanup is comforting, and at SERVPRO of Gilbert, we offer that knowledge along with our own experience on the field. Just reach out to us at (480) 558-7620 and allow us to help you restore your home "Like it never even happened."
Read about San Tan Valley here.
When Your San Tan Valley Home Requires Water Removal Services, Our Crew Is Here To Help!
After a sudden rain or a plumbing issue, water cleanup can be an issue for San Tan Valley homeowners.
Water Cleanup Actions For San Tan Valley Homes
San Tan Valley is the idea many people have in mind when they think about a quiet little town in southern Arizona. Our wonderful community is far enough away from the larger cities to have its identity, but close enough to take advantage of their proximity.
That's not saying a disaster cannot cause problems. After a sudden rain or a plumbing issue, water cleanup can be an issue for San Tan Valley homeowners. SERVPRO restoration service teams can quickly respond to any disaster in your home to remediate the damage, so it is safe once more for occupation.
Quick removal of all the water is our first cleanup action. It prevents the growth of mold and the odors that many mold spores can generate as they expand and grow. Since water drains quickly in our area, our technicians can go directly to smaller water extractions wands, skipping over pumps, to draw water out of carpets and off wood floors.
If the water covering the carpet is from a plumbing failure other than a toilet, it is considered clean. SERVPRO technicians can lift the carpet after extraction and roll it out of the way. They remove and dispose of the pad if there is one, scrap the floor underneath clean, and then set up air movers and fans to dry the floor.
Next, they unroll the carpet and use the same air movers and fans to dry the carpet completely. Finally, they set in place a new pad and then stretch the carpet back in place. None of this is feasible though if the water contains contaminants from storm water or a backed up toilet. Since there is no way for our experts to guarantee the cleanliness of the carpet for further use, the only safe option is disposal.
So, while the weather is drying out, a broken pipe can still spread water through any residence. When that happens, call SERVPRO of Gilbert to clean up your home from the after-effects. To schedule a visit, call (480) 558-7620 today.
Click here for more about San Tan Valley.
Must-Have Resources for Assessing the Water Damage Extent in San Tan Valley
Our technicians arrive on the scene with advanced equipment to help pinpoint pockets of water that can cause secondary damages. Call SERVPRO today.
Water Cleanup From Tile in Your San Tan Valley Home
Tile flooring is a common staple throughout specific areas of your San Tan Valley home. From the kitchen to the bathroom, tile gets installed for both aesthetics and to help prevent water penetration to subflooring materials. However, this does not mean that your tilework can withstand pooling water for very long, and it could quickly become considerably damaged without the appropriate intervention by trained professionals like our SERVPRO team.
Not all tiles get created equally, meaning that their ability to withstand damage through water cleanup efforts in your San Tan Valley home varies from type to type. Often these get rated into categories relative to their ability to avoid absorption of moisture from non-vitreous which can absorb up to 7% of its weight in water through impervious tiles that can absorb as little as .001%. However, regardless of the tile choice that you have made, proper installation, grouting materials, and adhesives all play a role as well in preventing water penetration.
Pooling water can begin to deteriorate grouting material quickly, especially in DIY tilework that is not as solid or professionally finished as it could be. The trouble with penetration through certain points of your tilework is that only a select few tiles may display water damages, yet, the entire backing material could be saturated and require removal. Getting our SERVPRO professionals on the scene quickly can help to protect this subflooring if possible.
One of the first steps that our professionals can take is to assess the damage with thermal imagery cameras. This technology can help to determine the spread of moisture beneath the tile and determine where drying equipment like our air movers and drying mats should get placed to maximize their results.
In some situations, water cleanup can be efficient and quick for the tile flooring in your home. In other situations, you need the expertise and advanced equipment of our SERVPRO of Gilbert rapid response team to dry out your tiles and subflooring. Give our certified technicians a call anytime that you need us at (480) 558-7620.
Click here for more about San Tan Valley.
Damage From Water Should Be Cleaned By Certified Professionals
SERVPRO of Gilbert will apply antibacterial, antiviral and anti fungal agents which will inhibit bacterial and viral growth.
The amount of damage water can cause is amazing, and often underestimated by homeowners. Excess moisture is bad enough, but when a home is flooded or hit with a plumbing disaster (like a burst pipe), the situation can quickly get out of hand. There’s a reason why these incidents are among the most expensive problems a homeowner can face. Contaminated water not only creates immediate structural problems, it can leave serious biological threats behind after it has been removed.
Floods, sewage backflows, and other sources of contaminated fluid usually cause the worst damage. Dirty water is filled with all kinds of deadly substances, ranging from chemical residues to animal feces to parasites. Bacteria, viruses and fungi grow explosively in contaminated fluid, and severe health risks, like salmonella and hepatitis, are common in flood waters.
This problem is compounded by the composition of most homes, which are filled with organic materials. Drywall, wood and the matter that is trapped in carpet fibers are just a few examples, and they can give pathogens room to grow. Within 48 hours, mold may begin creeping behind the walls and releasing spores, and any organic materials that have been soaked through by contaminated fluid will usually have to be destroyed.
SERVPRO of Gilbert will dry the home quickly and apply antibacterial, antiviral, and anti fungal agents to all surfaces that had contact with the water. This ensures the family can return to a safe home, and not one harboring a collection of deadly pathogens.
Understanding Water Types
Take special precautions when dealing with water damage. Let the professionals at SERVPRO of Gilbert Make it "Like it Never Even Happened"
It is critical to know what type of water you are dealing with when your home or business suffers from water damage. This ensured that your property will be properly cleaned.
There are types of water. Clean water is water from a broken pipe, or other water source: rainwater is also considered clean. The term Gray water is used for slightly contaminated water. Clean water becomes grey water when it is left untreated allowing bacteria and other contaminants to grow. making the water hazardous. Black water is highly contaminated and filled with fungi, bacteria, chemicals and more. Black water is typically caused by sewage damage, flooding or any type of natural disaster. Black water should always be handled by trained professionals.
Damage from clean water:
- Shut off the water if possible
- Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas of the building if safe from potential shock. Do no enter rooms with standing water, as electrical shock hazards may occur.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting. Wipe water from wood furniture after removing lamps and table top items.
- Remove and prop up wet upholstery cushions to allow even drying.
- Move paintings and art objects, computers, documents and other items that may be sensitive to moisture.
- Do not leave books, magazines and newspapers on wet floors as they may cause staining.
- Do not use household vacuum cleaners to remove water as there is potential for electrical shock or cause damage to the vacuum.
- Do not turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. Do not enter rooms where ceilings are sagging from retained water
Damage from Contaminated Water:
- Avoid all contact with sewage and items contaminated by sewage. Wash your hands thoroughly if you come in contact with contaminated items.
- Do not walk through contaminate areas, as you could spread damage to unaffected areas.
- Do not turn on the HVAC system if there is a possibility of spreading contaminated air.
- Do not use household fans to dry the structure; air flow could spread contaminants.
- Discard any food and/or products for personal for personal hygiene and cleanliness if exposed to the contaminated areas.
When you have a water damage, don't leave property to chance.
Call SERVPRO of Gilbert at (480) 558-7620
Floods-The Most Common Natural Disaster
Flooding in Texas- April 2016
Floods are one of the most common natural disasters in the United States. Whether you live near a coastline, near a river or even in the desert, there is a potential for suffering flood damage. Unlike any other natural disasters such as hurricanes that have typical peak season, flooding can occur anywhere and anytime. Floods cause billions of dollars a year in property damage. Approximately 90 percent of all presidentially declared natural disasters involve flooding.
These are some of the flood terms used to identify a flood hazard:
-A flood watch indicates that conditions are favorable for flooding to develop. Be prepared to move to higher ground.
-A flood warning means that flooding is occurring or will occur soon. If advised to evacuate, do so immediately.
-A flash flood warning means that flash flooding is occurring or imminent. Move to higher ground immediately.
If a flood does strike your home or business, give SERVPRO of Gilbert a call. We are prepared to handle any size disaster. The sooner we get to work on your home or business means a better chance of restoring your property. It also reduces the chance of mold caused by standing water.
For more flood information visit the FEMA site at: www.FEMA.org
Take action to prepare. April 30, 2016 is America’s PrepArathon! FEMA has free, easy-to-use guides, checklists, and resources to help you get prepared.https://community.fema.gov/
SERVPRO, We Are Faster to Any Size Disaster.
This Master bathroom had several inches of standing water when we arrived.
When a water heater leaks, a bathtub overflows or a pipe burts. Whether it's water from floods or sprinkler system malfunctions, water damage can happen in any number of ways. But if your home or business is under a few inches of water, everything else can wait. Only one thing matters when your business can't function or to a flooded resident: A solution.
SERVPRO of Gilbert and Chandler South is here to help. We are equipped with the knowledge, the experience, and the training to make your water damage "Like it never even happened." SERVPRO will help the moment you call. We will put your worries at ease, because we understand the science of drying.
When water damage strikes, give SERVPRO of Gilbert and Chandler South a call; we will make it "Like it never even happened."
Water Damage tips
These homeowners came home from vacation to this devastating affect of their toilet supply line malfunction. SERVPRO of Gilbert was there to help!
Water damage to your home is a devastating experience. Click on the link below for tips on what you can do to help if water damage happens to your home.
With any water clean-up, it is better for a professional company that is IICRC certified to take care of the water damage properly in order to prevent any further damage. SERVPRO of Gilbert and Chandler S. is always here to help, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We work directly with your insurance to get the job done. Give us a call today 480-558-7620.
Wood Floor seperation
Close up of wood floor separated and swelled from water damage.
When wood floor becomes wet in a water damage It will swell and buckle. Wood floors could rarely be matched. Therefore if serveral peices are damaged and there is not enough extra pieces to replace them it will need to be replaced everywhere the wood floor flows. In the photo it showes a job we completed recently in Phoenix Arizona that is a good example of this damage.