Tips For Keeping Your Countertops Looking New
Here at SERVPRO of Gilbert our reconstruction department is no stranger to rebuilding kitchens previously damaged from water, mold or fire. One of the common replacement items we come across in the kitchen are counter tops. With our expertise and multiple vendor options we can get your countertops, weather they are laminate, granite or marble, looking beautiful and functional.
Here are a few tips to keep these workhorses of the kitchen in tip top shape.
- Be aware of excessive weight placed on your counter tops. Placing heavy objects near unsupported edges or joints can cause cracks, ruptures and fractures that are expensive and difficult to repair. It might not be worth standing on your countertops versus grabbing a ladder when wanting to reach a tall shelf.
- Be careful of the cleaning supplies you use. Products that contain bleach or ammonia can cause stone and granite to lose their luster.
- Use a trivet or cutting board under toaster ovens, slow cookers and other heat-generating appliances. Temperature changes can cause some materials to crack.
- Use caution when using acidic foods on marble countertops. Marble countertops are made of calcium carbonate, and are extremely sensitive to acidity. If you spill vinegar, wine, lemon juice or tomato sauce clean immediately with water and then neutralize the stain by sprinkling baking soda on it.
- Watch pooled water, especially mineral-rich hard tap water. If left it can cause a crusty buildup. Always wipe water completely and then dry with a towel.
- Opt for a cutting board instead of cutting directly on the countertop. Fine scratches can disrupt the waterproof sealant on most countertops, making them more susceptible to damage down the road.
If you find yourself needing your kitchen or any other room of your home repaired, our reconstruction experts at SERVPRO of Gilbert can guide you through the process and make it “Like it never even happened."