SERVPRO wants you to have the tools necessary to notice and react quickly in the case of water damage in your home. Particularly, when water invades and damages walls. Caused by intense weather, old or loose pipes, and a number of other factors, leaks in your walls are never pleasant; but below are eight tricks to catching them quickly and avoiding costly repairs.
- Look for puddles of standing water near a wall – Wet flooring, especially near major water-using appliances, is one of the simplest ways to identify a leak in a wall.
- Look for discoloration on a wall – Irregular spots of discoloration are highly indicative of a leak behind a wall, regardless of the wall’s surface/material.
- Inspect walls for a change in texture – Walls with water leaks often show puckered, buckled, drooping, or bubble-like textures.
- Note any signs of mold or mildew – When a leak has been present for a substantial period of time, mold can grow on your wall. Oftentimes a dense cluster of black or brown dots, mold is a common result of water damage.
- Pay attention to any musty smells – Leaks that are not yet visible may make their presence known by smell, as water that soaks into walls and never has a chance to dry out can develop a strong odor.
- Listen for dripping sounds – If you hear dripping in the seconds after turning off the shower, flushing the toilet, or turning off the sink, do not ignore it. It can be a sign of a leak.
- Keep an eye on your water bill – If a significant amount of water is leaking in your walls, you often find that your water bill reflects it with higher prices.
- Check for clogged eaves and downspouts – Remove clogging material (pine needles, leaves, etc.) in the eaves and downspouts to restore water flow as overflowing water could eventually seep through the roof and walls.
At SERVPRO of Gilbert, Chandler South, Ahwatukee and South Tempe, we know that water damage is often overwhelming and expensive. If your home or business is affected by a water loss, whether in the walls or elsewhere, call us at (480) 558-7620. We make it a point to respond promptly and resolve your damages efficiently and effectively. ‘Faster to Any Disaster’, and quicker to leaving you to return to a leak-free home.