Holiday HOT Topics
Inevitably, end-of-year holiday celebrations create crazy memories and unforgettable events. Unfortunately, a packed house, massive meals, and holiday festivities make them fire-prone and invite a plethora of cooking mishaps and kitchen misfires. As we approach the annual holiday traditions, we have compiled a list of safety tips to keep you and your family safe and ensure that festivities ensue without a hitch.
- When cooking food on the stop top, make sure that there is always someone in the kitchen to keep an eye on the food.
- When cooking turkey, stay in the home and check on it frequently.
- Unless highly experienced, avoid frying the turkey as it puts you at an increased risk of sustaining a cooking fire.
- Keep children away from the stove.
- When handling hot food or liquids, keep children away. The steam or splash from vegetables, gravy, coffee, or other high-temperature materials can cause severe burns.
- Keep knives out of children’s’ reach.
- Be cognizant of electric cords as they should not lie within the reach of children.
- Store matches and utility lighters out of the reach of children and away from flames.
- Keep lit candles out the reach of children and away from curtains or other flammable materials.
- Keep floors clear, especially those in the kitchen or dining areas, to prevent tripping or slipping.
- Test smoke alarms to certify that they are working before company arrives.
As a cleaning and restoration company, SERVPRO of Gilbert, Chandler South, Ahwatukee and South Tempe has seen its fair share of holiday season fires. To ensure enjoyable celebrations throughout the year's end, please be cognizant of your surroundings and take the proper precautions. And, if there is an incident, call us at (480) 558-7620 to restore your home to its prior condition, “Like it never even happened.”