There is little scarier than the threat of a fire to your home or business. Whether you consider the potential hazards it poses to your safety, or to the integrity of your property, a fire can create a panic. At SERVPRO of Gilbert, Chandler South, Ahwatukee and South Tempe, we are committed to restoring your home to pre-damage conditions in the case that a fire occurs. However, we want to also equip you with the knowledge necessary to ensure the safety of you, your family, and friends if a fire develops in a building you occupy.
If a Fire Starts:
- Know how to safely operate a fire extinguisher.
- Remember to get out, stay out, and call 911 or your local emergency phone number.
- Yell “Fire!” several times and go outside right away. If you live in a building with elevators, use the stairs. Leave all your things where they are and save yourself.
- If closed doors handles are warm or smoke blocks your primary escape route, use your second way out. Never open doors that are warm to the touch.
- If you must escape through smoke, get low and go under the smoke to your exit. Close all doors behind you.
- If smoke, heat, or flames block your exit routes, stay in the room with doors closed. Place a wet towel under the door and call the fire department or 911. Open a window and wave a brightly colored cloth or flashlight to signal for help.
- Once you are outside, go to your meeting place and then send one person to call the fire department. If you cannot get to your meeting place, follow your family emergency communication plan.
If Your Clothes Catch on Fire:
STOP what you are doing.
DROP to the ground and cover your face if possible.
ROLL over and over or back and forth until the flames go out.
THEN, once the flames are out, cool the burned skin with water for three to five minutes. Call for medical attention
Fires aren’t occurrences you can predict, but planning for the potential hazard can make all the difference in affecting the extent of damage to your property and the continued safety of those inside the building.
If a fire does occur, call SERVPRO for your cleaning and restoration needs at (480) 558-7620; we remain dedicated to returning your home to its previous condition, “Like it never even happened.”