If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (480) 558-7620

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Common Household Fire Hazards and How to Mitigate Them

9/1/2020 (Permalink)

For many people, thoughts of their home are closely associated with the ideas of “comfort” and “safety.” Your home does, however, shelter potential fire hazards as well. And, although that should not instill fear, it is important that you be aware of how to mitigate the threat of those common household hazards.

Reports by the National Fire Protection Association state that between the years of 2012 and 2016, approximately 355,400 home structure fires occurred every year; many of which could have been prevented with simple precautions. Most frequently, they are instigated by the improper usage of electrical appliances, heating-related mishaps, or kitchen blunders.

To avoid fires started by electronic appliances, it important that you do not use electronics that have frayed, loose, or cracked wiring. Also, be aware of the placement of cords or wires in relation to rugs and doorways. Wires under rugs can catch easily and those in front of doors are likely to be damaged. It is also crucial to remain aware of how many electronics are plugged into outlets or extension cords. Do not overload them and use covers on unused outlets, particularly if there are small children in the home. Lastly, when using light bulbs, ensure that you do not exceed the maximum voltage noted on the light or light fixture.

Heating-related fires happen most commonly with space heaters. Thus, the best way to avoid them is to place them at least three feet away from anything flammable. Further, keep flammable things away from and off of radiators.

Kitchen fires account for most house fires; causing 48% as opposed to 19% by electronics and 15% by heaters. The best method to preventing them is to stay in the kitchen when using the oven or stovetop. By regularly monitoring them, you are capable of quickly reacting to any unforeseen fire-causing accidents. Also, if you smell gas, do not turn anything on. Instead, remove any occupants from the house and call your gas company to report a gas leak.

House fires are scary, dangerous, and damaging, so being informed of practices that help prevent them can be crucial. However, should a fire occur in your home, SERVPRO of Gilbert, Chandler South, Ahwatukee and South Tempe can restore your home to a condition that meets or exceeds the state which it earlier existed. We promise to make it seem “Like it never even happened.”

Other News

View Recent Posts