With monsoon season in full swing, we at SERVPRO of Gilbert, Chandler South, Ahwatukee and South Tempe feel that it is important to provide you with information regarding ways to protect your home or business from unnecessary damage.
Rains and Floods
One of the most powerful features of monsoons is water. With the ability to severely damage a home’s foundation as well as belongings should it infiltrate the structure, it is necessary that homeowners take the proper precautions before a storm hits. Here are a couple of tips to minimize or prevent damage in the case of a storm:
- To redirect water away from the structure, place sandbags in front of your door or around your home.
- Check your gutters and downspouts. Makes sure that their placement encourages proper runoff and clean them before rains hit to ensure drainage.
- As you check your gutters, examine the roof for loose shingles or leaks. Should you identify any areas of concern, fix them as soon as possible.
- Check the grading around your house. To properly move water away from your home, there should be a gradual slope downwards from the foundation. If your home shows improper grading, it can prove highly beneficial to invest in a landscaper to add dirt or gravel to improve it.
In the presence of strong winds, damage due to falling trees and cactus as well as flying debris is very likely. Trim branches from lower limbs of trees and remove any that may be rotted or broken in preparation for monsoons. You may also need to add supports or stake down a tree trunk should it be young, new to the soil, weak from prior damage, or if the soil is shallow and poor.
Unfortunately, monsoon season in Arizona often brings dust storms, also known as haboobs, which can cause damage that threatens the health and safety of those residing within the home. Below are some commonly affected areas to be aware of and measures you can take to ensure full functioning of your home:
- If dust enters your smoke detectors, they can malfunction. Therefore, it is important to change your air conditioner filter before and during monsoon season as well as consider turning it off during a storm. This prevents high volumes of dust from entering the home and affecting detectors.
- If you have filter or purification systems inside your house, keep an eye on them as they can quickly become contaminated with dust particles; preventing normal functioning
- Check that ductwork is properly sealed. This prevents dust from blowing into your home as covers can work loose throughout the year.
In consideration of monsoon season, staying on top of regular home maintenance pays for itself. We at SERVPRO of Gilbert, Chandler South, Ahwatukee and South Tempe know firsthand the kind of damage caused by the storms that occur during monsoon season. As a franchise with fire and water cleanup and restoration, mold remediation, and reconstruction services, we are fully equipped to handle any size loss. Whether caused by excessive rain, lightning, wind-propelled objects, or dust, we can return your home to normal – "Like it never even happened."