What To Do After A Residential or Commercial Fire
As the weather cools, we heat our homes to stay warm. Sadly, according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), "… structure fires that occurred in 2018, 363,000, or 73 percent, occurred in home structures, including one- and two-family homes, manufactured homes, and apartments."
This is why it is essential to know what do after a fire strikes.
- In the event you need temporary housing, contact your local Red Cross.
- Stay in touch with the fire department. Find out when it is safe to return to your home or business. Keep in mind there could be hidden structural damage. It is best if you wait to enter until a trained professional restoration company is on site.
- Do not turn on utilities until you are told it is safe to do so by the fire department. And, do not turn the services on yourself.
- Contact your insurance company for detailed instructions. They can let you know how to protect your property in the short term; give specific instructions on how to conduct an inventory assessment. They will provide you a list of restoration companies. SERVPRO is a full-service restoration company.
- Save all receipts for any expenditures you may have related to fire loss. The receipts will be needed later by the insurance company to verify your losses.
- Make sure to notify your mortgage company about the fire.
If you do have a fire in your home or business, SERVPRO of Gilbert is available 24/7 to help! We are a certified and trained restoration company who pride ourselves on treating all tragedies with compassion and knowledge.
Call us (480) 558-7620. We are here to help!